Monday, April 9, 2007

GM for the Day

If i could take Theo's job for the day I would...

  1. I would make Crisp bat second. I understand that he has been stinking up the joint and that Youks is great for batting second, but Crisp is ideal for batting second. If he was to bat in front of Papi i feel like there will be an immediate improvement of all his stats. Being the dead fastball hitter, he will thrive in that role. He also give more speed to the top of the order, which never hurts. Moving Youks back in the order will only strengthen the back end that looks extremely weak right now. I am also in favor of benching Crisp, but I feel like this would be a more practical idea.
  2. I would find a team that is willing to take Taverez. He is not a starter and he is not a strong arm in the pen. He is literally insane, mind you (this doesn't make him bad but you know). I would put Gabbard or Pauley in that 5th starters role. They will be able to put up similar if not better numbers, but do it at a fraction of the price. Another upside would be giving these guys auditions for the future. They looked like your typical AAAA pitchers that have no real hope at being mainstays on rosters. But maybe they can shocked the world a small bit and become trade bait for teams desperate for pitching.
  3. I would cut Romero and Piniero. I would replace them with Hansack and Breslow. Both have the potential to be above average bullpen arms for now and the next couple years. These guys have done nothing but perform every chance they get but still get very little respect. It is time that we stop with these washed up bullpen arms with little upside and give younger less proven guys a shot. I really see no way the perform worse than the combo i have being cut.
Those are the 3 things that I, personally, feel like are ways to immediately improve the team. All are completely practical and able to be done. Why they are not done? Well if you have a good answer i would love to hear it. I just don't understand a lot of what has been going on with personnel decisions of late.

No comments: